Raymond P. Shebell, Sr. is a passionate advocate who has dedicated his life to fighting for people who have been injured, harmed or wronged. He has followed in the footsteps of his father and brother, a judge who served on the Appellate Division of the Superior Court for over fifteen years, occasionally serving temporary appointments on the New Jersey Supreme Court. Currently, Raymond Shebell works alongside his nephew as they continue the family’s mission of getting justice for those who have been wronged.
Raymond Shebell is active in many professional associations, where he contributes his vast knowledge of Workers’ Compensation law and serves as a mentor to newer attorneys. Some of the many associations he has served include the Workers’ Compensation Committee, the New Jersey State Bar Association, the American Bar Association, the American Association for Justice, the American Society of Law and Medicine, the American Judges Association, the American Trial Lawyers Association, the New Jersey Institute of Municipal Attorneys, The Asbury Park Chamber of Commerce (President 1982-1983), the Monmouth Bar Association (Chairman 1982-1985), and National Trial Lawyers Top 100.
Raymond Shebell has always been committed to serving the community where he was raised. He started his career as an Assistant Attorney for the City of Asbury Park. He was then appointed as Municipal Court Judge for the City of Asbury Park, as well as Bradley Beach and Neptune Township. He has also served as Special Counsel and City Attorney for the City of Asbury Park. His extensive record of public service has given him valuable perspective as a plaintiff’s attorney. He is intimately familiar with all aspects of New Jersey’s legal system, which enables him to develop extremely effective legal strategies for his clients.
Currently, Raymond Shebell is admitted to practice law in the State of New Jersey, the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. District Court and the U.S. Tax Court. A true trial lawyer, Raymond Shebell is known among his peers as a formidable cross-examiner, particularly with medical witnesses. He thrives in the high-pressure environment of the courtroom, and never loses sight of why he practices law—to get justice for his clients.
Widely respected as New Jersey’s top Workers’ Compensation lawyer, Raymond Shebell has been honored as a New Jersey Super Lawyer, an elite group of attorneys known for their professional excellence. He has also been named a Best Lawyer in America (2006-2014), and was listed in the Who’s Who Global Directory (2008-2014).
MEMBERSHIPS & ASSOCIATIONS
- Workers’ Compensation Committee
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- The American Society of Law and Medicine, Inc
- American Judges Association
- New Jersey Institute of Municipal Attorneys
- American Arbitration Association Member
- Master of Bench NJ Workers’ Compensation Inn of Court
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- National Judicial College 1986
- Asbury Park Chamber of Commerce 1982 – 1983, President
- Monmouth Bar Association, 1982 – 1985 Chairman
- President Colts Neck Volunteer Fire Company 2 – 2016-2017
- President Colts Neck Business Association – 2010
- Member Colts Neck Volunteer Fire Department 2012 – Present
- Vice President Mid-Monmouth Fire Police 2017
- President County Of Monmouth Fire Police Association 2017
HONORS & AWARDS
- New Jersey Super Lawyers
- Who’s Who Global Directory (2008-2017)
- Best Lawyer in America (2006-2017)
- Tribune Publish Front Page Award (2015-2016)
- National Trial Lawyers Top 100
- Expert Network Distinguished Lawyers
- Americas Most Honored Professionals Top 1 Percent
- New Jersey, 1974
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1981
- U.S. District Court, 1974
- U.S. Tax Court, 1979
- U.S. COURT OF FEDERAL CLAIMS 2017
- Seton Hall University School of Law, Newark, New Jersey, 1974, J.D.
- Monmouth College, 1971, B.A.
PAST EMPLOYMENT POSITIONS
- City of Asbury Park, Assistant Attorney, 1982 – 1983
- City of Asbury Park, Municipal Court Judge, 1982 – 1987
- Bradley Beach, Municipal Court Judge, 1985 – 1993
- Neptune Township, Municipal Court Judge, 1990 – 1993
- Asbury Park, City Attorney, 1987 – 1989
- City of Asbury Park, Special Counsel, 1989 – 1990
- City of Asbury Park, Special Counsel, 1993
- New Jersey Workers Compensation American Inn of Court, Master
- Phi Alpha Delta