Tim McIlwain has dedicated his professional life to the pursuit of defending the rights of the individual. Driven by this passion, he has developed a unique law practice focused on Impact Litigation wherein he has frequently created the theory of liability or substantially litigated cases of first impression. Most recently, Mr. McIlwain has established the rights to likeness for both amateur and professional athletes, and set standards for team doctors on behalf of athletes, who until Mr. McIlwain’s litigation, were permitted to green light play for athletes at risk of life altering injury. Ongoing Impact areas of litigation include net neutrality, the rights of female and minority athletes across all divisions of NCAA play, NCAA concussion treatment procedure and disparate treatment of female inmates in the Federal prison system.
Mr. McIlwain is an accomplished trial attorney who is one of only ten NJ lawyers admitted to Gerry Spence’s prestigious Trial Lawyers College. He has successfully represented countless defendants & plaintiffs in complex litigation and personal injury litigation. Additionally, Mr. Mcilwain has represented a variety of celebrities in cases involving sexual harassment and discrimination, wrongful termination, and contract disputes. In 2014 Mr. McIlwain’s results in trial certified him as a lifetime member of both the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, one of the most prestigious groups of trial lawyers in the country.
Mr. McIlwain is often asked to share his trial experiences as a guest on TV and radio and has appeared frequently as a legal panelist on the FOX News Channel and TSN “Off the Record” with Michael Landsberg. Additionally, he delivers insight into litigation and sports law on the Law School lecture circuit, most recently addressing audiences at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles, CA; Seton Hall, New York Law School, DePaul University College of Law in Chicago, IL; and Golden Gate School of Law in San Francisco, CA.
In November 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2015, respectively, Mr. McIlwain was a member of a shared panel at the Southern Regional Entertainment & Sports Seminar. Additionally, Mr. McIlwain also shared a panel with Donald Fehr (president of Major League Baseball Players Association for 30 years and top labor attorney) on the Tennessee, Florida & Georgia Bars where he has repeatedly been invited as the annual public speaker.
- New Jersey 1996
- Gerry Spence’s Trial Lawyers College 2008
- New York Law School, JD, 1995, Martin Blatt Law Scholarship Award Winner
- The University of California, Berkeley
- University of California at Berkley, BA 1991, Member Varsity Football and Crew
- Certified Contract Advisor for NFL Players Association (1996-2006)
- Registered Agent with NHLPA (2007)
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- American Inns of Court Foundation
- National Employment Lawyers Association (see www.nela.org)
- Sports Lawyers Association
- NJ Bar Association
- Atlantic County Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Ranch Club Member with Trial Lawyers College founded by Gerry Spence
- COOPER LEVENSON APRIL NIEDELMAN & WAGENHEIM, 1996-1999
- PETRO COHEN Law Firm, Northfield, New Jersey
- US DEPARTMENT OF LABOR, Law Clerk for President Clinton’s Health Care Task Force, 1994
- FEDERAL DEFENDERS OFFICE, Sacramento, CA , 1993
- PAINE WEBBER INC, Weehawken, NJ, 1992
- SENATOR PETE WILSON, Legislative Aide, Washington, DC, 1990