Expunging a Juvenile Record

If you were charged with a crime, while under the age of 17, you were probably charged as a juvenile.  Although juvenile offenses seem like they would be less serious, they can still carry some pretty serious penalties.  Juveniles can be charged with many of the same crimes as adults, like drug-related crimes, theft, disorderly conduct, illegal use of alcohol, or disorderly conduct.

If I Committed an Offense as a Juvenile Will it Follow me Into Adulthood?

Although you may have committed a crime as a juvenile, it still leaves a mark on your record.  The charge does not automatically remove itself once you enter adulthood.  Rather, in New Jersey, you must have your record expunged to remove blemishes from your criminal record.  An expungement usually results in the record being destroyed.  Sometimes, juveniles are given the benefit of the doubt and the ability to expunge their record allows them to enter adulthood with a clean slate.

What Types of Acts May Be Eligible for Expungement?

The following acts may be eligible for expungement:

  • a crime;
  • a felony;
  • a misdemeanor offense; or
  • a violation of an ordinance.

If you were charged and convicted of a crime as a juvenile, you may be eligible to have your record expunged if you meet the following requirements:

  • There must not be any current or pending charges against you;
  • You must not have more than three petty offenses on your juvenile record;
  • You must not have been convicted of an indictable offense;

At least 5 years must have elapsed since the last conviction, release from jail, payment of fines, or completion of probation.

If you are the parent of a child who has been charged with a juvenile crime and would like more information about getting an expungement, contact an experienced criminal defense attorney in New Jersey.

If you need strong legal representation with a matter related to personal injury, medical malpractice, criminal defense, workers’ compensation, SSD, contact Shebell & Shebell LLC today to schedule a consultation.