New Jersey Wrongful Death Lawyers
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Monmouth County
New Jersey law defines wrongful death as a fatality caused by someone’s negligent, reckless or deliberate actions. If your loved one was killed in an accident that was caused by another person’s negligent behavior, you may be able to recover money damages by pursuing a wrongful death claim. You have a right to know who caused your loved one’s death and hold them accountable. Although no amount of money can replace what you have lost, recovering financial compensation can help relieve some of the burdens of your family’s situation. Without the testimony of the decedent, it can be difficult to find out the cause of the accident and pinpoint who was responsible. The experienced New Jersey wrongful death lawyers at Shebell & Shebell know how to obtain this evidence, uncover the truth, and get the compensation your family deserves. Contact Shebell & Shebell for a consultation today.
Causes of wrongful death
Although any type of accident can give rise to a wrongful death suit in New Jersey, common situations include:
- Car accidents
- Trucking accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Medical malpractice, including surgical errors, failure to diagnose cancer, and over-prescribing prescription drugs
- Workplace accidents
- Fall injuries
- Dog and animal attacks
- Dangerously defective products, including medications
- Abuse and assault at private or commercial properties, including bars, nursing homes, and schools, where there was a lack of security to prevent violent crime
- Police misconduct
- Occupational exposure to asbestos or other dangerous contaminants
Who can pursue a wrongful death claim?
Any family member of the decedent can pursue a wrongful death claim. However, it can be difficult to determine which relatives should be involved in the case. The law governing who may file a claim can be complicated. The knowledgeable attorneys at Shebell & Shebell offer free consultations and can help you determine who among your relatives has standing to pursue a claim. In general, the right to pursue a claim follows a preferential hierarchy, in the following order:
- Surviving spouse, children, and offspring of deceased children
Compensation and justice
After an unexpected death, your family may be too grief-stricken to contemplate hiring an attorney to secure monetary compensation for your loss. However, medical, funeral, and other costs related to the death quickly add up. The hardship is increased if your family has lost a wage-earner.
In addition to helping you recover financial compensation, an experienced New Jersey wrongful death lawyer can help you expose the negligent party’s oversight and prevent them from harming other individuals in the future. The responsible party should face the consequences of their irresponsible actions. The tenacious lawyers at Shebell & Shebell will undertake a thorough investigation and get answers.
Some of the monetary damages that you can recover in a wrongful death suit include:
- Lost wages and benefits (past and future)
- Compensation for any future household services that your lost family member would have contributed
- Medical and hospital bills
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Punitive damages when it can be shown that the defendant’s conduct was intentional, malicious, or reckless
- Loss of affection, companionship, and consortium of your loved one
- Pain and suffering
Contact our Monmouth County wrongful death attorneys
Although nothing can compensate your family for the devastating loss that you have suffered, pursuing a wrongful death claim can help ease some of the financial difficulties you now may be facing. Hiring the right New Jersey wrongful death lawyer can not only determine whether you recover but also the amount of your recovery. At Shebell & Shebell, we have been fighting for injured families for decades and know what it takes to uncover the truth and get justice for your loved one. To discuss your case, contact Shebell & Shebell.