Disability Awards and Lump Sum Benefits
Our New Jersey Workers’ Compensation Attorneys Fight for the Best Outcome
In many cases, workers’ compensation claims are resolved through a negotiated settlement. These can be complicated. It’s important to have an experienced workers’ compensation lawyer working on your behalf. The experienced attorneys at Shebell & Shebell, LLC fight to help injured workers get the best possible resolution of their claims. Our offices are located in Shrewsbury and Newark.
In New Jersey, there are two types of worker’s compensation settlements. If your claim is settled, the type of settlement depends on whether the insurance company is disputing any part of your claim – for example, whether it was work-related, or how bad your injuries are. The two types of settlements are:
- Order approving settlement (Section 22 settlement) – An agreement is reached on a specific permanent disability rating. The insurance company agrees to pay permanent disability benefits in installments (based on New Jersey’s schedule of benefits). Under the terms, you don’t give up your right to future benefits. If your condition gets worse, you have the option of reopening your claim to seek additional disability benefits. This option is available for two years following the last payment.
- Order approving settlement with dismissal (Section 20 settlement) – This type is used when your claim has been denied, or part of your claim has been disputed by the insurance company. It is a lump sum settlement that is final. You cannot reopen your claim to seek additional disability benefits, even if your condition gets worse.
In some cases, there is a dispute about a claim that can’t be resolved. One option is to continue fighting through the trial process of the Division of Workers’ Compensation.
Our firm has been helping injured workers since 1927. We are dedicated to helping you get the best possible outcome of your claim. Our legal team investigates your accident to get the facts. Our attorneys build the strongest case possible. We then consider all factors and can advise you on the best option.
We Fight for Your Rights
We know the impact a work injury can have on you and your family. You may need surgery, physical therapy and medication. The medical expenses add up quickly, but there is less money coming in because you can’t work.
If you’ve been hurt on the job, you may not know what to do next. Some of the questions we hear from clients include:
- How long do NJ workers’ compensation settlements take?
- Am I eligible for a workers’ comp permanent disability settlement?
- How much money can I get in a workplace injury settlement?
You can expect our attorneys to look at every single option for resolving your claim. You can also expect us to give you an honest assessment of what to expect. We want you to be able to collect the full amount of benefits you should be receiving. Sometimes, a settlement is the best option.
If you were injured in a workplace accident, learn more about how we can help. Contact us to schedule a free consultation with one of our attorneys. We’ll review the details of your claim, answer your questions and explain your options.